1. What does the application attempt to ‘teach’?
When I first went to this particular ESL website, it instantaneously caught my attention. This is due to the reason that although it does not have any animation and whatsoever, it brings me straight to the main purpose of finding a great source of information regarding teaching and learning. All the information and tips inside this website are blended beautifully as reflected through its title which is ‘Idea Cookbook’. The title itself has already given me the idea of what I am going to find in this website. This application attempts to teach almost everything that a teacher needs throughout the process of teaching and learning. Not only it provides lessons for teachers like how to teach the four basic skills of learning which are; listening, speaking, reading and writing but it also gives so many ideas on how to be a better teacher, private teaching, and etc. For more recipes, this link will straightly bring you to the whole new exciting world of teaching and learning; (http://www.eslcafe.com/ideas/)
2. What sorts of things is the application user expected to do with regards to the content?
As I mention earlier on, this application is like a set of lesson plans that are very helpful for teachers even though it does not look exactly like the proper type of lesson plans that I used during my practicum days. This is very suitable for busy teachers as they just need to click on this ESL Website and choose the lesson that they want for the day as it tells us the activities that are very stimulating for both parties (teacher and students). For example if the teacher intends to inculcate games in their lesson, he/she can go to
(http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cgi?Games), to get as many games as he/she wants. But there is no need to be worried about the content of the games because it is not ridiculous as the games are all related to the learning purposes. Moreover, the games are suitable for all levels and ages hence, it can be applied in every single class that we enter. For clearer example, please go to this page:
(http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cgi?display:943008315-22384.txt) . Another example of this brilliant application apart from pronunciation, spelling, grammar and many more, is, it also includes teaching using music, videos and even how to do the ice-breaking. Isn’t it fantastic? This can be seen through this page: (http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cgi?Ice:Breakers) . Consequently, the content is almost perfect for a teacher as it contains every single part of lesson from the four basic skills to the games and even a lot of tips on how to be a better teacher. I can say that this application is like a virtual teacher to the teachers.
3. What sorts of computer skills is the application users expected to have in order to operate/access/use the application?
For me, a good website is simply the one that does not require me to have complicated skills with computers like Microsoft excel, publisher or hot potato. I know it sounds ridiculous but the truth is I am a bit slow in using those applications. Thus, when I have to use those skills in order to operate an ESL Website, in a way, it turns me off as I am going to spend more time to learn on how to access it. Fortunately, this Dave’s ESL Café has given an ease of mind as it is so simple and anyone can gain benefit from this website. It does not demand any skill or effort in order to use this application. All we need is just the skill of clicking a mouse and I am 100% sure that even a small kid can do it.
4. While you are “playing”/ “accessing”/ “assessing” the application, does it remind you of anything you do in a classroom, or with a teacher, or with a fellow classmate, or in self-study?
As I am accessing this application, it brings me to the time when I have computer class during my first semester. I do not really know why it has somehow a relation to that particular class. But maybe, the lesson that is conducted at that time has reminded me of this application as the way it is presented is simple and easy for me to grasp. It is magical how a clicking can lead us to another world of information. All the links that are available make it easier and save my time from having to browse other website in order to get different lesson plans such as pronunciation, writing and math. It is due to the reason that this application has it all. Furthermore, it also reminds me of what I usually do when I have to do group work or self-study. Accessing this particular application is similar to the activities of finding information regarding my assignment. It is like getting more information from one link to another as this application has hundreds of links available and ready to be used by everybody.
5. Can you pinpoint some theories of language learning and /or teaching underlying the application?
There are a whole bunch of language learning and/or teaching theories underlying the application. First, the Direct Method, which emerged in the mid-to late-nineteenth century. This method prioritized more on the oral skills and this application provides so many activities that require students to speak orally in the classroom. It can be seen through these pages: (http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cgi?Pronunciation:) ,( http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cgi?Speaking:) . Second, Audiolingualism, a largely North American invention which focus on pattern-practice drills. As I go through this application, I find that a lot of drills are available in almost every part of the sub-topics such as Disciple, Pronunciation, Speaking, Games and etc. For clear example you can click to (http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cgi?display:943008315-22384.text) . This type of activity is very effective and being used worldwide as it is also supported by Noam Chomsky by claiming that language ability is not habituated behaviour
But an innate human capacity prompted a reassessment of drill-and-repeat type teaching practices in the late 1950’s. Third, Communicative Language Teaching is also applicable in this application as there are many communicative activities provided for instance making chain story or talking about their holidays. Try to click on this page to get more examples: (http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cgi?Holidays:) . Fourth, Inductive approach is being used for example in teaching grammar using this application from Dave’s ESL Café. It is because most of the activities often first expose learners to the examples and works the rules out for themselves. Role playing is one of the examples that keep on being suggested in this application and the rules are injected within the role play. I think it works better and effectual as students can enjoy themselves while learning. Fifth, Task-based teaching theory is also presented within this application for example in doing The Web Page Task when students are required to create their own personal web page. This activity is very exciting as students can be creative in creating their web page and the best part is, it is applicable to all ages and levels of students. Feel free to check on the activity at (http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cgi?display:921334307-17298.txt) . With all the theories of language learning and /or teaching mentioned above, it is true that this application is very meaningful and the approaches used are suitable for different level of students.
6. How well is the constructivist theory of learning applied to the chosen website(s)?
In my opinion the Constructivist theory is well-applied in this particular website because there are a lot of conversational activities across cultures in it. For instance students are obliged to talk and share experience in classes regarding their experience during Christmas. This shows that interaction is taking place in the process of learning as students are sharing and giving opinion regarding a certain topic. This can be seen at (http://www.eslcafe.com/idea/index.cgi?Holidays:) . My opinion is supported by Brown (2000) as he claims that researchers studying first and second language acquisition have demonstrated constructivist perspectives through studies of conversational discourse, sociocultural factors in learning and interactionist theories. Through the activities at (http://www.eslcafe.com/ideas/) , I can say that it is very much based on constructivist theory. When students are exposed to the interactive activities and exercises, the social interaction is strengthened. It is also agreed by Vygotsky (1978) when he mentioned that social interaction was foundational in cognitive development and rejected the notion of predetermined stages. Thus, this website has practiced constructivist theory via the activities that are provided.
7. In 1980’s and early 1990’s, there was a major debate on ‘whether the computer was “master” of or “slave” to the learning process (Higgins and Johns, 1984). In relation to your evaluation – was the computer a replacement for teachers, or merely an obedient servant to students?
Even though computer makes our daily life easier, there are weaknesses beyond. It means that every technology that is invented possess positive and negative connotations. We cannot deny that with the existence of computer, we manage to lessen human burden as it helps us to operate faster and with ease. But it does not make computer a “master” of learning process. We cannot depend solely on computer to teach because it is still a kind of robot that cannot understand human feelings and there is no word as tolerance in its dictionary. For example when it comes to assessing writing paper, computer will not be able to give marks based on the understanding of the kind of students it is dealing with. The bench marks will be very rigid and students will not be able to negotiate their marks anymore. It is so stressing when we are not able to argue on our belief just because the assessor i.e. the computer cannot talk. I believe that human touch works better than a computer. It is due to the reason that human has the sense of humanity that a computer does not own. Yet, it does not mean we cannot depend on it at all. Yes, we can but we need to limit ourselves so that we will not make computer as our slaves. If we totally rely on computer, we will become lazy and this is when plagiarism starts to appear like mushrooms after the rain. We have to work hand in hand with computer but we should not make it as our “master” or “slave”. Furthermore, I strongly believe that computer is not a replacement for teachers but it is just a loyal assistant that helps making teachers’ life easier by providing information that are needed like this website that I chose. We cannot expect students from different levels to go to this website without explaining to them about the lesson. They will not be able to learn and adapt from computer without the guidance from teachers. Besides that computer is also not merely an obedient servant to students. Again, it is just a medium that provides students with the information and also a medium of communication with others. We need to have a balance in everything that we do so that there is no “master” and “slave” issues argued.
8. Would you like to use the application yourself in your future work? Yes? Give reasons: No? Gives reasons:
It is definitely a yes for me because this application is so simple and everyone can get access to this website. It is like a record book that needs a little alteration due to the different classes and levels that we have. The title itself is very effective and gives great impact on me when I first saw it. Being a teacher in the future means that I am going to be busy with a lot of work and responsibilities instead of teaching. Therefore, by taking this application as my best friend will definitely helps. For instance, if I do not manage to come up with activities for the day, I just need to click on this website and use the application available in order to save the day. Another concrete reason for wanting to use this application in the future is because of its simplicity and does not require any skills to operate it. I really look forward for this kind of application as I do not have to get myself stuck even though it has a lot of links, still I manage to open every page that I want. I find some applications are really irritating because whenever I want to open another page using the links provided, I have to wait like forever and at the end I am just wasting my time without getting any benefit from it. I must say that the contents are very helpful and brilliant because it has what it takes to be like a textbook but in different version and style. Hence, it is very suitable for my future work.
9. Suggestions/Recommendations.
I would suggest other teachers and future teachers to choose this website and its application because it has all the things that are needed for them. But nevertheless, I still have recommendations for this website which is putting more pictures or animation in order to make it more eye-catching for the viewers. Besides that, a few videos or sounds can be considered to be put available in this website for the sake of having entertainment while learning. It gives more fun and colours to this website. Then, perhaps a few samples of questions and tests should be provided to make it more effective.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The aim of this task is to evaluate an ESL website that teaches ESL skills. Dave's ESL is a of a resource center for teachers. 6/10
ReplyDelete